To give a more decorative and aesthetic products of wood, they are treated with stain.The solution changes the tone and emphasizes the wood texture.Modern stains have antiseptic properties and can significantly extend the life of the product.
Consider what are the types of stains as possible to make the composition of their own hands, and what are the basic rules applying stain to the wood.
- Purpose stain wood
- Types stains for wood
- Manufacturing stain their own hands: craftsmen recipes
- stains from plants
- stain based on coffee, tea and vinegar
- stain with chemical components
- bleaching stain
- Methods of application stain
- main principles of treatment of wood stain
- possible defects and their removal
Purpose stain wood
Stain - tinting composition that is applied to the treated wood to change the natural color of wood, plywood,furniture, chipboard, hardboard and MDF.Stain is the second title of stain.
special formulation penetrates deep into the wood, so that the texture of the tree is saved.This effect on the enamel or paint to achieve fail.
Some use stain to hide the true types of wood, such as pine inexpensive paint in the colors of precious wood.Others use a stain in order to update the interior space or to emphasize a beautiful texture of natural materials.
With skillful use of the stain and the combination of several shades at the same time you can turn an ordinary wood products in artistic value
addition of decorative features, some types of stains also have protective properties.By derevozaschitnym compositions are stains on the oil-based alkyd or solvents.Such stains are able to protect the wood from insects, mold and fungi.
Types stains for wood
main criterion by which classify all stain - is the foundation of manufacturing solution.The most common stain water, alcohol, oil, acrylic and wax-based.Consider the features of each species.
Mordants water based available in two forms: dry stain in powder form for reconstitution in water independent and ready-to-use condition.Water stains dry long enough, so to obtain a uniform tone take a long time.
major inconvenience stain application is that the processing of the composition lifts the wood fibers.On the one hand it underlines the tree structure, and on the other - makes the product more vulnerable to moisture.Therefore, before applying the stain, wood surface should be wet, leave for a while to soak and thoroughly sanded.
Alcohol stain - is a solution of organic coloring pigments in ethanol.The alcohol used for antiseptic compositions and decorative painting of wooden products.Such stains reduce grain raising and does not cause swelling of the wood.
When using an alcohol stain difficult to achieve uniform staining, since the composition dries quickly and can form spots.For the rendering of small products such stains can come, but to paint parquet will be very problematic.
Alcohol stain applied only spray (spray gun) and the staining brush result can be unpredictable
Stain oil-based have a variety of tones and shades.Oily stain comprises drying oil-soluble dyes and oils.As the solvent used white spirit.
oil stain - the most easy to operate: it can be applied in many ways, does not raise the fibers and is distributed uniformly over the entire surface.Products treated with oil-based stain can be easily dokrasit and restore.
wax and acrylic stain - the latest generation of dubbing materials.Stains based on acrylic resins and wax is formed on the surface of the thin wood color film, which further protects the material from excessive moisture.These types of stains evenly "fall" to the surface and are well suited for the treatment of wooden floors.
Acrylic stains have a wide range of colors that can be mixed and getting more subtle shades.The composition has no odor, non-flammable and is suitable for all types of wood.Acrylic stains do not emit harmful fumes and dry quickly after application.
When working with acrylic stains, it is important not to overdo it with the layer thickness.Good effect can be obtained by applying no more than 2 layers, if more, then can form spots
Wax stains are very soft wax.They can be processed directly with wood or previously painted surface.Wax stains are applied using a cloth and spread over the wood rubbing movements.
most effective wax stains look combined with polishing.This technique is often used in the finishing of turning articles, profiles and carvings.
Important!Stains on wax basis can not be used before treating wood two-component acid-curing lacquer or polyurethane
Manufacturing stain their own hands: craftsmen recipes
Stains from plants
gives wood a different color is possible by means of plant components.
- Strong decoction of the bark of larch gives a reddish hue.Especially arts is manifested in the processing of birch.
- reddish hue can be achieved using the husks from onions.To do this, prepare a "cool" broth and process them or add a light wood stain in the purchase.
- Applying walnut shells, you can get different shades.Old shells need a little dry and grind into a powder.The resulting powder was hazel boil in water, strain through a fine sieve and add to the solution a little bit of baking soda.Wood treated with such a composition, acquires a brownish tint, and if it is further applied after drying the aqueous solution of potassium dichromate, it turns reddish.For greyish, surface treated with "nutty" solution, it is necessary to impregnate with dilute acetic acid.
- achieve rich black tones can be, if you use a decoction of the bark of oak and alder.
- Smooth brown, close to the natural one, obtained by mixing equal parts of willow bark, oak, walnut shell earrings and alder.All the ingredients have to pour cold water and bring to a boil.Then add to a solution of ½ teaspoon of baking soda and boil for another minute 10.
- gives wood brown can with the help of a decoction of walnut shells and bark of apple tree.If necessary a more intense tone, then added to a solution of alum.
- Woodworking broth from the bark of willow and alder wood gives black.
- If light wood apply broth from underripe buckthorn fruit, the product acquires a golden yellow hue.
Stains on the basis of coffee, tea and vinegar
Stain wood with their hands can make improvised coffee, tea and vinegar.
- Different shades of brown are obtained using coffee.Grind grain mixed with baking soda.As stain suit and soluble coffee.Suffice it to brew strong coffee and treat them wood.
- bad light toning wood and tea leaves.Theanine contained in tea, it gives the wood a natural brown color.Saturation of color depends on the concentration of tea.Get
- effect ebony "black" tree, you can use vinegar and metal parts.Small iron nails have to pour acetic acid and leave for 2-7 days in a dark place (the longer the "infuse" solution, the darker the color of the wood).Wood Processing trained staff should be held in the open air, as the solution has a very pungent odor.It should be noted that the polyurethane varnish, when applied to a product is minimized due to the large amounts of vinegar and Nitra "go to" normal.
Making cherry tree, brown and dark brown shade can be a solution of potassium permanganate: 50 g have to be diluted in 1 liter of warm water, put on the wood, and after 5 minutes, wipe the surface with a soft cloth.In order to get a more vivid shade of potassium permanganate treatment must be repeated.
After processing, wood stains from potassium permanganate, it is necessary to cover the surface of the protective structure, or potassium permanganate fade
Stains chemical components
If you want a stable color, you can experiment and create a stain of a chemical.
- tree with a high content of theanine (oak), you can moisten the slaked lime - a product will become brown.If such a composition to treat the nut, then turn brown with a greenish tint unobtrusive.Unusual
- shade can be achieved by preparing the following composition: 75 g of sodium carbonate and 35 g of potassium carbonate dissolved in 1 liter of water.Treated wood structure, and after drying it is necessary to moisten the surface of the mixture (1 liter of water + 50 grams of tannin).After this treatment, the color manifested only an hour, so do not hurry up and paint the tree again.
- Sliced veneer which can be colored bright yellow, using a decoction of barberry root (available at pharmacies).Ready strain the broth, add a little alum and again bring to a boil.The cooled solution is ready for application to the timber.
- Give greenish veneer can be with the following solution: 50-60 g of fine powder Coronella dissolve in vinegar, boil for 10-15 minutes, and the composition of the hot splicing process.
- From juice Wolfberry (privet), and various chemical components can get a variety of stain colors: brown - with vitriol, red - with Glauber's salt, light blue - with baking soda, green - with potash.
whitening product allows you to prepare wood for painting and achieve expressive tone.Some tree species in bleaching acquire unexpected colors.For example, walnut, which is characterized by monochrome texture with purple hue, a bleaching stain after processing becomes palely pink or scarlet and pink.Bleaching makes the apple wood noble ivory.
bleaching stain: Photo
Whitening can use different solutions.Some act very quickly, others - more slowly.
- solution of oxalic acid.100 g of boiling water to dissolve 1.5-6 g of oxalic acid.Such a composition is suitable for whitening light wood: linden, poplar Belov, light walnut, birch and maple.On the other types of wood can appear dingy shades or gray spots.The sheets of veneer after whitening rinse solution (composition: hot water - 100 g of soda ash - 3 g, Bleach - 15).Such treatment obessmolivaet surface and raises the pile of wood.
- Bleaching 25% solution of hydrogen peroxide is suitable for most trees, except the lemon tree, oak and rosewood.Products after peroxide treatment, did not require washing.A solution of peroxide bleaches only small pore wood.Wood containing tannins, is very difficult to lighten a stain.To improve the process of bleaching pre-tanning breed should be processed 10% solution of ammonia.
whitening results of different species of trees:
- birch after bleaching in a solution of oxalic acid gets a greenish tint;
- ash and oak veneer becomes noticeably lighter after treatment with oxalic acid;
- Anatolian walnut bleached peroxide (peroxide concentration of not less than 15%) acquires a golden hue, and walnut - pink.
Methods of application
stain treatment of wood stain, you can perform one of four ways:
- Spray.The stain is applied to the surface of the spray gun timber.Spraying allows for even distribution of the stain and achieve an even texture.
- Rubbing.Stain applied to the tree and rubbed uniformly over the entire area of the product.Covering converted texture becomes pronounced.This method is ideal for porous wood species and stain does not need to use quick-drying.
- roller or pad.This method is used in processing articles a small area, it helps to avoid streaks and provides uniform distribution of the stain on the surface.
- Brush.For lack of a gun or a tampon can use a brush, but this method is not suitable for all types of stains.Experts note that when applied with a brush, wood gives a deeper, more saturated colors than with other methods.
main principles of treatment of wood stain
In order to get a beautiful product of natural material, it is necessary to adhere to the basic rules for the processing of wood.
- Stain applied strictly in the direction of the wood grain.In the same direction and removed excess solution.
- most common stain is applied in 2-3 layers.
- When applying the first layer should use a small amount of stain, and after drying the surface should be sanded to remove and raise the nap.
- surface treatment is necessary to try to brush "no sign" of frozen sections already.
- Promorennaya wood after drying polish thick coarse cloth in the direction along the fibers or diagonally.
- large surface of the product is best divided into sections and starve them consistently.
- Each subsequent layer of stain is applied only after the previous one has dried.Mordants
- oil-based dry for about 3 days, solvent-based or water - 2-3 hours.
- too thick makeup stain can be diluted with a suitable solvent.For water-based stains using water for the oil stain - thinners.Thus it will be possible to reduce the manifestation of possible defects on the surface of the article.
stain Application: Video
possible defects and their removal
Apply stain is necessary to very carefully as to remove a defect will be difficult.
Education streaks.This occurs when the stain is applied in large quantities and very quickly dries up.In this case, we must try as much as possible to remove a layer of stain.On the need to apply a layer of frosting another layer of stain, which soften dry out, and then with a cloth to remove excess solution.
If the stain has dried completely, then remove it is necessary to use a solvent for paints.However, to remove all pigment fail.The upper colored layer can be removed with sandpaper or a plane.
Spotting products.If the treated wood is uneven or irregular grain density, the absorption of the stain can be uneven - powder in some places will be richer, and in others - lighter.
Spotting on products made of mahogany or walnut looks attractive, but on the cherry wood, birch, pine, spruce and poplar - does not look natural
Remove spotting very difficult.You can remove the layer of wood stained a plane, in the plywood will have to remove the entire front veneer.