set out to create the unusual interior, using the time-tested and familiar elements, should pay attention to the sliding interior doors.Applying them in the interior, it can be more ergonomic use of the space, dividing it into different zones and at the same time preserving the integrity of the illusion of space.In addition, to make the sliding doors with their hands quite simply require an understanding of the process and the ability to handle the tool, as well as knowledge of the sliding doors.
- Advantages and disadvantages of sliding doors
- design and types of sliding doors
- Sliding doors
- mechanism for sliding doors
- installation options
- sliding doors sliding doors How to
Advantages and disadvantages of slidingdoors
before using the sliding interior doors in the interior, it is necessary to know their strengths and weaknesses.On what are the goals when planning the interior, and will depend on, you stop your choice on sliding
- saves space of the room;
- not closed under the influence of drafts, unlike the hinged door on its hinges;
- simple and easy opening of the valves.One thing to consider - is the cleanliness and timely maintenance of the roller mechanism;
- if necessary, can be easily automated.This is one of the main advantages of the sliding doors, which can be implemented very easily with the help of modern technology;
- no thresholds.This advantage is more controversial, as there is a sliding door system with its design in the lower guide, which can act as a threshold or build into the floor.
- low levels of thermal and acoustic insulation.Several uprated sound and heat insulation have a system in which on the face of the door glued special seal, and doors themselves call in a special niche;
- inability to install as the front door.It should be noted that if it is a balcony, a loggia or a country house with a wall long enough, you can install sliding glass doors leading from the room to the street;
- price of hardware and locks for sliding doors are much higher prices for conventional doors.Everything else on the sliding door is also slightly higher prices, which imposes certain restrictions on the choice according to the budget;
- using a certain type of sliding doors will not be able to put beside any furniture or large appliances.
design and types of sliding doors
There are different sliding door systems, they differ in appearance, but the design is in its basis and principle of operation remains the same.The design of the sliding doors is a system consisting of a roller mechanism , guide and leaf .The roller mechanism is attached to the door and the rollers move along fixed rails above the doorway.Different types of sliding interior doors can include from two to four or more roller mechanisms, and several guides and door panels.In addition to the design of the sliding door are decorative panels, covering the mechanism, various special door fittings, trim and transoms.
The figure below shows the different types of sliding doors:
But among the variety of the following basic types of sliding doors:
- sliding door coupe;
- cascading sliding doors;
- sliding accordion doors;
- one, two, three, three-and sliding doors;
- radius sliding doors.
Because of its unusual design for sliding doors require a particular type of hardware.Locks and handles for sliding doors are not like we used to see on conventional doors.A characteristic feature of pens is that they are recessed into the door leaf.This is done so that the door can smoothly move off to the side and, if necessary, call in a niche reserved for her.Locks are also not very common.If we compare with the usual lock, you can see that the locking mechanism is designed for vertical locks into place.
When buying a sliding door fittings usually comes with the door leaf.But if you need to install the handles and locks yourself, then you must be very careful and pick them correctly.It is best to ask for help, or search the catalog number.
mechanism for sliding doors
sliding doors got its name from the way of opening, which is provided by the movement of the guide rollers.The roller mechanism and the guides for sliding doors should be chosen based on the type of the sliding door, number of folds and the material of the door leaf.The fact is that different systems have different weight and create a different load on the structure as a whole.So, if we compare the single-wing sliding doors from MDF and double glass sliding door, the weight of the first will be much smaller, and it is possible to choose a simple and easy roller mechanism.
Also, when you install some types of sliding doors (cascading, accordion, coupe) should take into account the number of roller mechanisms and to choose the right guide.For example, you need to install the door a cascade of 2 roller mechanism for each door leaf and guide with two runners.It is particularly important to pay attention to the fact that to create sliding doors and windows must be cascaded to provide one trench in the guides for each door leaf.
As previously mentioned, the reliability of sliding doors depends on the roller mechanism and the guide.But sometimes, as in the case with a glass sliding door, it is necessary to set two guides - one at the top of the doorway, the other - at the bottom.The only way to get a stable and secure door with a large mass of the door leaf.
Installation Options sliding doors
functionality and convenience of interior sliding doors allow you to implement a variety of design solutions in confined spaces and in areas with a large area.Such doors allow to transform the interior space, organically fit into the interior.
most popular option is to install a sliding door between two residential areas .Using a butterfly type doors can be zoned premises, while maintaining its integrity.In private, it will be two different rooms, and in open - one, but with a large area.For example, setting the sliding doors can separate a small office, and when the doors are open - this is a common room for business meetings.
Another option is the use of sliding doors their installation between living quarters and a loggia , balcony or terrace in a country house.In this case it is advisable to use a sliding glass door.Through them will come a great light output, and in the warmer months, opening them, you can extend the room indefinitely.
Often sliding doors used technical rooms .For example, setting a sliding door coupe can be separated utility room or pantry while retaining precious space.
One of the most difficult and costly to install are the radius of the door.It depends on the complexity of the manufacture of the door leaf and curved rails.But these doors can be seen in the showers booths or rooms with rounded shapes.It looks very impressive.
Unfortunately, because of its shortcomings sliding door does not make sense to establish between such rooms as kitchen, living room, bathroom or toilet.Of course, with the development of technology, new materials and methods for their use.And perhaps, lacks sliding doors with new technologies, or disappear completely leveled, which will open new horizons for their application.
How to sliding doors
determine the type of sliding door and get all necessary, you can install.The process of installation by the example of single-leaf sliding doors.This is the simplest and most common door that is easiest to install.But it should be noted that the description will be marked key points that are common to other types of sliding doors.
So, to install a sliding door with your hands, you must do the following:
- First - make a layout for the guides.To do this, you can go two ways.The first - a tape measure to measure the height of the door from the floor, adding to her 15 - 20 mm gap between the floor and the door.And added to this height adjustment mechanism assembled and the guide roller.After that, put the 2 - 3 marks on the wall and a line drawn between them.The second embodiment is similar to the first, with the difference that puts the door leaf to the opening and placed on the upper edge of the label, which is then added to the height of the roller mechanism and the guide.
Important!Before installing the guide, make sure labels horizontally.This can be done using the level.Otherwise, after the installation of the door will be opened spontaneously in one direction or another.
- Now set the guide to scheduled before the line so that rail was installed underneath.Depending on the guide itself it can be mounted in different ways.Some are mounted directly to the wall with dowels, some can be mounted on special brackets or wooden beams.Directing itself to be at some distance from the wall, so that when you open the door is not clinging to the doorway or trim.You should carefully choose the guides and be aware of how to install it.For sliding doors and other structures sliding door with a height from floor to ceiling, rails attached to the ceiling and floor.
Important!To sliding door came off not at the first opening, the length of the guide should be 2 times more than the doorway, and this should be added the length of 4 - 5 cm spare stroke.It is because of this feature sliding doors require a lot of space near the doorway, though space saving when open.
- Lock Guides, inserted inside the roller carriage mounting bolt and the factory all the roller mechanism inside the rail.For a typical single door it requires only two clips, but if you set up the doors, "accordion" or cascading doors have rollers advance purchase per leaf.
- top leaf install brackets for roller carriages.They are attached with a space from the edge of the door 3 - 5 mm.
Important!For glass doors use a different method of attachment.Hardware itself represents two metal legs, between which is clamped a glass and tightened by screws.In addition, because of the large mass of glass doors is recommended to install two guides: one - in the floor, the other - above the doorway.
- Now, when installed rollers and fixing them, put in place the door leaf, and it lifts the bolt is screwed into the bracket at the top of the door.This phase of work is best done with a partner who can lift and hold the door while twisted bolts.After that, we check the horizontal door and if necessary leveled by tightening the bolts.
- doorway and slopes can be hidden behind casings and transoms.But he roller mechanism is behind the trim strip, which is hung over.
- Finally, install door hardware.
somewhat more time-consuming to install a sliding door with a special niche in the wall.It will have to create a partition of gypsum boards, which will call in the door.But for the door in the floor of the guide have hollow groove that require the use of the gun.In all other cases the installation of sliding doors - a very simple and easy thing.