Gone are the days when the glass ceiling has been the exclusive prerogative of discos, concert halls, lobbies of hotels and other entertainment facilities.Adapt and inject it into the interior of the premises was not so difficult.Now you can meet glass ceilings in bedrooms, living rooms, kitchens and even bathrooms.Glass - a unique material, it is not only visually expands the space and allows you to create the illusion of more spacious and high ceilings, but also has other undeniable advantages: the light passing through the frosted glass or stained glass, refracted, fills the room a soft light magic.The interior of the premises used several types of glass ceilings, which differ not only in material performance, but also the texture, and the presence of the figure, and the method of fixing.On this and talk in this article.
- Forms glass ceilings
- means of fixing the glass ceiling
- Glass ceiling with his hands
- markup ceiling
- Mounting corners and hangers for ceiling mounting profiles
- Wiring and lighting
- laying glass tilesFrame
Forms glass ceiling glass ceiling
called product of two materials of different characteristics - is a silicate glass and acrylic glass.
silicate glass - familiar to us material that is used to manufacture the window, it is completely natural and environmentally friendly, it does not emit odors and noxious substances.As a material for the ceiling silicate glass has a number of advantages and disadvantages.
Benefits glass ceilings silicate glass :
- excellent indicator light transmission.
- Perfectly smooth surface without scratches.
- Easy care.Silicate glass is not afraid of detergents.
- ecologically clean natural material.
- to illuminate the ceiling, you can use any devices: incandescent, fluorescent lamps, LEDs and others.
- not afraid of high temperatures and humidity.
- not deformed.
Disadvantages silicate glass :
- very fragile material.The blow may shatter and scatter.This is dangerous by the fact that the material is the ceiling, which means it will fall down - on the heads of the inhabitants of the room, which can lead to serious injury.This disadvantage is partially offset by applying to the surface of the glass film.But it solves the problem only partially - the pieces do not scatter, and remain glued to the film, but the tiles of glass is still broken and must be replaced.
- complex in the treatment of the material.For cutting and machining edges cut special tool is used.You also need a lot of experience and skill to cut the tiles of silicate glass and cull the most.
- relatively heavy material.Although this lack of debate.Since the silica glass structure itself does not allow it to flex and bend, deform, unlike plastic.
acrylic glass - a relatively modern material, it is also called "Plexiglas" or "plexiglass".In fact, a transparent plastic, which is useful in the construction of ceilings because of its strength.
advantages of acrylic glass ceiling:
- It is difficult to split.Even with a big effort to break or bounce plexiglass may crack but not break or shatter.
- netravmoopasno acrylic glass.
- Good sound insulation.
- Excellent thermal insulation properties.Acrylic glass is a poor conductor of heat, and the air gap between the ceiling and the plates of plexiglass does not penetrate from cold floors indoors.
- easy to process the material.Cut ordinary hacksaw, grinder, edge overwritten a file, with the acrylic glass will not crack, crumble and is not pricked.
- relatively lightweight.
Disadvantages of acrylic glass ceiling:
- often formed on the surface scratches from dust and dirt, and even cloth, which he rubbed.Material afraid abrasive cleaners, and use liquid detergents, too, must be cautious.
- acrylic glass afraid of high temperatures.
- as backlight can not use incandescent lamps and other lighting fixtures, causing a large rise in temperature.
- Material unnatural and early operation may produce unpleasant odors.When heated, too.
- When exposed to high temperatures may deform the edge of the tiles to be bent.
As you can see, acrylic glass has certain advantages over the silicate, but its shortcomings are absolutely devoid of the latter.So the choice is complex and ambiguous.There is much to ponder.
By its texture glass ceilings also are different.For example, use a clear glass makes no sense, because the very idea ceiling - hide flaws.Therefore, the glass is treated.
Frosted glass ceiling - the most demanded variant of registration of premises.Specially treated by sandblasting, the glass becomes opaque.Through it he breaks light is scattered and flooding the room warm muted glow.It creates the illusion of a lack of ceiling.Wherein the glass itself may be not only white but also have shades of pink, blue, green or any other color.This helps to create an unforgettable song when knocked on the glass drawing or a story in a variety of shades.
Frosted glass ceiling: photo - examples
Frosted glass ceiling is made from both the silicate glass and acrylic.Silica glass is treated to impart a matte sandblasted and immediately made opaque acrylic.
mirrored ceiling enjoys continued popularity since the mid-20th century.Mirror plates are also made of silicate glass by applying amalgam and acrylic glass by applying a special film.Mirrored ceiling can visually change the dimensions of the room, expanding it, making ceilings higher.It does not require the upper lights.
stained glass ceiling - expensive elite decision.Application of multi-colored pattern on the glass can be done in different ways: from the very expensive to the budget.For example, injection of stained glass windows of various colors and shades, which is called "casting Murmansk" option is not for everyone.The cost of such enormous stained glass, so they can afford only very wealthy people.But you can create a stained glass window in other ways, using as a basis the usual transparent glass.The first option - to stick to the surface of the glass film with a multi-colored stained-glass pattern.One of the ways the budget that does not require significant costs and time.The second option - to draw the composition of the hand of special paints for glass.Preliminary outline of the picture must be applied to paper or cardboard, and then transferred to the glass.This method is good for those who like to do everything with their own hands and create individual masterpieces on your taste.There are other options and techniques for making stained glass, but we will not consider them in view of their complexity.
stained glass ceiling is able to create an unforgettable atmosphere.The imaginative design or composition in combination with a well-chosen illumination will transform the room and create a sense of fairy tales.
All of these glass ceilings can be successfully combined.For example, to create a composition of frosted and mirrored plates.Also extremely well looked a combination of frosted glass and stained glass.Creating nontrivial interior zoning areas, expanding the boundaries, floating feeling - all this can be achieved through glass ceilings and correctly calculated and set up the backlight.
on the glass ceiling price depends on material and the complexity of the drawing or engraving.The difference in cost and silicate acrylic glass is, but it does not exceed 25 - 30%.And the more expensive acrylic glass silicate.However, considering that the processing and assembly of the glass part may be damaged tiles, the overall cost will be approximately the same.The price is influenced more by the color, if it's a mirror coating, and the complexity of the figure, if the application of sandblasting on the surface or the creation of stained glass.
means of fixing the glass ceiling
glass ceiling mount option is chosen depending on the type of ceiling and whether it planned to light or not.
For example, a mirrored ceiling does not need illumination from above, so it can be attached directly to the surface of the slab.
first way - to stick.It is more suitable for tiles made of acrylic glass, they are more impact resistant, and even if the fall from the top, it will not bring harm.Since most of the surface of the ceiling does not differ a great smoothness, it is better not to glue directly to the ceiling, and the sheets of plywood or drywall, previously attached to the ceiling.So the surface will turn out smooth, and mirrors will not give distortion.
second way - to fix rails or profiles.Along the ceiling, you can fill the wooden slats or aluminum profiles and fix them to fasten the mirror tiles special screws.All of these methods are suitable only for constructs, which do not use lights on.
Since glass ceilings set for creating a unique atmosphere with diffused light, the design shall require backlighting, which is mounted on the ceiling panels.To implement this configuration, in life, there are several methods.
- Suspended glass ceilings , where glass tiles are placed into the frame of the cassette ceiling.Such systems are manufactured from aluminum or galvanized steel.They consist of fastening profiles and adjustable spring suspension.The most common cassette system is considered Armstrong system.It allows you to use any tile material dimensions of 600x600 mm.It turns out that glass tiles are inserted into the grooves of the frame and the edges are hidden decorative profile.
- Fixing glass tiles for decorative screws to the sheathing .By the way, not necessarily that it was just a crate nailed to the ceiling, it can also be a system of profiles for attaching the tiles underneath.Drilling holes in the glass, and you need to advance very carefully, wetting the place where the drill goes.
- laying glass tiles in the suspended wooden crate , attached to potolku.Etot way to immediately perform a decorative function, and fixing.The wooden crate is made of curly-matched color or contrasting strips.Please be fully installed wooden frame, and only then are inserted into the cells of glass tiles.Tiles can just lie on the surface of the sheathing, and can be attached to it at the edge of the narrow strips or screws with a decorative cap.In such a composition would fit not only frosted glass, and stained with a complex intricate designs.Use a glass ceiling in a wooden crate is possible only in areas with constant low humidity.
thoughtful and calculated method of fixing the glass ceiling is necessary in advance.All suspension structures reduce the height of the room is 15 - 20 cm minimum.This should be taken into account.
Glass ceiling with his hands
As an example, consider the case of arrangement frosted glass ceiling grid system to Armstrong.This method of installation is quite simple and easy, so it is quite possible to perform on their own, inviting a couple of people to help.
first task - to mark the ceiling, check that it was in a strictly horizontal plane.First planned in one corner of the ceiling of the lower level of the future (he dropped to 15 - 20 cm).Then transferred to mark the other corners, checking with a laser level evenness of their location.Then, interconnected lines mark and once again check whether the same plane they are.
lines on the walls - a benchmark for the installation of the angular profile.Now you need to find the middle of the room.
Important!The layout of the ceiling cassette system is best to start from the middle of the room.So get neater and prettier.
Connecting point in opposite corners of the lines, find their point of intersection.This will be the center of the room.Now we measure the wall, find their middle and connect this point with the center point of the ceiling.
shorter line connecting points on opposite walls is control - for it to be fixed guide profiles.From it postpone both sides of 120 cm and also draw a line.If the room is very long, the lines derived from postponing a further 120 cm and again hold the line.As a result, the ceiling must be razlineen for every 120 cm. The closest to the wall line should be not more than 60 cm from it.
outlines space for mounting the suspensions .To do this around the center point of the ceiling draw a circle with a diameter of 180 cm. The points of intersection with the guide and will sometimes mount suspension.Further expanding the circle.
Mounting corners and hangers for ceiling
glass ceiling Installation begins with the installation of the angular profile.To start zasverlivaem profile dowel holes 300 mm.Is then applied to a wall corner profile so that its lower edge coincides with a line on the wall.With the bump stop is planned in the wall places for holes.Remove the angular profile and zasverlivaem punch holes in the wall under the dowel.Insert them into the wall, putting a corner profile and fixed.
second stage should be fixed suspensions.It uses precast dowels.Hooks on hangers to be deployed in the same direction for the convenience of mounting and profile.
Check that the lower edge of the suspension were in the same plane and coincides with the plane of angular profiles.You can adjust the suspensions with springs.
Mounting profiles ceiling
To simplify installation, you can purchase a system Armstrong, the kit that includes all required profiles.Collect frame should be starting from the guide profiles and then cross.
guide profiles are assigned to the suspensions (hung on hooks) and the edges firmly stacked in the corner profiles.
case where the length of the guide profile is not enough to cover the distance from wall to wall, you can connect it to cut another piece of the profile with a special lock, which is equipped with all sections of the system.
Important!In places where you plan to install light fixtures, extra hangers must be secured.
collected guiding profiles are held together by transverse profiles which are mounted at a distance of 60 cm from each other.
They should also be laid firmly on the corner profiles, so if necessary, they should be lengthened.As a result, you should get a grid-frame of the profiles.The last time check horizontal design and location of the flat cells.All angles should be 90 °.
Wiring and lighting
before a glass ceiling and to complete the work, fixing glass tiles, you must take care of communications - wiring and ceiling lighting.