linoleum - a strong and flexible fabric, mainly used as final floor covering.Among the main advantages of the material can be attributed to its excellent moisture resistance and durability.It is thanks to such parameters as product and gained wide popularity among consumers.This article will talk about how to lay linoleum on concrete floor.
- Types linoleum production material
- Polyvinylchloride or PVC linoleum
- Rubber (relin) linoleum
- Kolloksilinovy (nitrocellulose) linoleum
- Alkyd (glyptal) linoleum
- The main criteria for the selection of linoleum
- How to lay linoleum on concrete floor
- method of bonding joints linoleum
- Care linoleum
oiled sheet as flooring for the floor was first used back in EuropeXVIII century, and since then interest in the material only grows up.Now hardly find a dwelling or public institutions, which would not have used a reliable and practical cover.
Due to the rich range of colors, some kinds of linoleum practically does not differ from the more expensive luxury materials.Lay linoleum can be a plurality of surfaces, but be sure to observe a number of important conditions, or even the most high-quality product will be ruined.
Before laying linoleum on the concrete floor should sort out its versions and properties.
Types linoleum production material
Such material is made centuries ago, was it then of coarse oiled cloth, with the addition of beeswax and dye.Modern industry in the manufacture of this product uses only natural ingredients - flax oil, resin, wood and sawdust, natural dyes, lime.Furthermore, the web is further processed antiseptic compositions.
- environmentally friendly building material;
- high wear resistance;
- strength, durability and reliability - qualities that only intensified with time;
- good resistance to the chemical composition;
- not differ a large selection of colors, patterns and drawings;
- not tolerate freezing temperatures.
canvas Available without a basis or on the basis of plant materials: jute, hemp, flax.Also, some manufacturers produce products which serves as the basis of HDF-plate (sheet of high-density wood fiber), for example, from the company Marmoleum Forbo.This product is easy to lay, as the plates are equipped with a special locking connection.
To linoleum served as long as possible, it must be treated with special care product biolinoleumom - acrylic dispersion.After this treatment, the floor covering will shine and better cleaned, in addition, a protective structure prevents the rapid contamination of the web.When cleaning is prohibited the use of alkaline agents, as such compounds leave yellow stains on the material.
Polyvinylchloride or PVC linoleum
It is a synthetic product that is made from PVC resin and plasticizer, with the addition of chalk, pigments and brighteners.Available material is baseless, cloth, thermal insulation and sound-proof foundations, as well as single-layer and multi-layer made artificial flooring.
- provides additional heat and sound insulation;
- offers simple installation and easy maintenance;
- has a wide range of colors, designs and patterns;
- small price;
- has good elasticity;
- does not rot.
- first time there is a strong chemical smell (disappears during operation);
- not tolerate freezing temperatures;
- if the linoleum is not lined with glass fiber or foam based, can occur up to 2% shrinkage when exposed to elevated temperatures;
- material completely synthetic, ie low sustainability;
- little resistance to chemicals (acetone, alkalis);
- not recommended to wash the funds available as part of the abrasive particles.
PVC linoleum is produced as completely without foundation and in its several forms, such as foam, fabric and non-woven.It can also be a single layer and multilayer, otherwise also called homogeneous and heterogeneous linoleum.
This type of flooring is rarely used in public institutions, because the product is not resistant to abrasion.Available material in rolls of up to 20 m, the width can range from 150 cm to 400 cm thick PVC cloth has a thickness of 5 mm.
Rubber (relin) linoleum
product with a high waterproof, flexible and elastic due to the special two-layer structure.Lower layer coating is made of rubber and crushed asphalt and a top layer of natural or synthetic rubber and colored pigment.
- increased strength;
- necessary hardness;
- excellent wear resistance (the coating is not afraid of even the impact of studded tires);
- skid resistant top layer (due to specific printed pattern);
- coating has cushioning properties;
- can be operated at temperatures from -40 to +90 degrees;
- good resistance to chemicals;
- not afraid of exposure to ultraviolet radiation;
- long life.
- small selection of colors (gray, blue, red);
- expensive material.
Relin mainly used in public areas with high traffic, such as at the airport, in hotels and restaurants, schools, hospitals, as well as elevators and parking garages.Modern designers have chosen this flooring for homes decorated in high-tech style.The web comes in rolls of up to 10 m and a width of 1.2 m, a standard thickness of 4 mm.
Kolloksilinovy (nitrocellulose) linoleum
The composition of such products include asbestos, red lead, gypsum, dyes, cotton and wood pulp (colloxylin), plasticizers, flame retardants, and various stabilizers.Produced as a single coat without additional base.
- flexible structure;
- increased humidity;
- resistance to low temperatures;
- good elasticity.
- high fire risk;
- prone to shrinkage;
- resistant to chemical attack;
- not tolerate sharp fluctuations in temperature;
- colors represented by only two shades - red or brown.
Linoleum nitrocellulose is not intended for use in living rooms, and its not recommended for use in children's institutions, in restaurants and in premises with aggressive media.Manufactured products in rolls of a length of 20 m, the width can range from 100 cm to 160 cm, the thickness is in the range of 2-4 mm.Before you laid such coverage must be very carefully prepared base.
Alkyd (glyptal) linoleum
This product is made from alkyd resins, with the addition of wood or cork flour and pigments.The base is usually used textile materials (made from flax, jute or Konopleva hibiscus).
- high degree of sound and heat insulation;
- by the addition of the antimicrobial agents, does not rot;
- rich color palette;
- good durability.
- fragility - in the operation of high probability of fractures and cracks;
- low water resistance;
- material resistant to low temperatures;
- expensive product due to the use of natural ingredients.
If the front of the product has a pattern, it is best to refrain from flooring material in areas with heavy traffic, as well as on the floor in the kitchen and hallway.This product is available in rolls with a length of 15 to 30 m, width 2 m, and the thickness may vary from 2.5 to 5 mm.
on the correct choice made depends not only on the life of the flooring, but also the comfort of home.For home repairs choose natural linoleum or PVC.Before buying the material selected should understand the main characteristics and properties of the goods.
main selection criteria linoleum
All the rooms in the house or apartment vary in functionality, so it is important to take into account these features, choosing flooring.Thus, for a kitchen and a corridor floor encouraged to acquire the material thickness is not less than 3 mm, it is desirable to have multiple layers of linoleum, and the protective layer had a thickness of 0.25 mm.The same strong product purchase and a children's room in order to avoid damage to the coating from mechanical impact.In the living room or office should be selected coating thickness of 1.5 mm, and the bedroom is suitable thinner sheet thickness 1-1.5 mm.
Besides manufacturing linoleum material varies according to the destination.In this category providing 4 basic types.
- Household - coating thickness of 1-4 mm, it is a very soft material, with a wide choice of colors and low cost, but it does not have a long life, is made on the basis of polyester.
- semi-commercial - similar to household linoleum, but it is very thick, so often shrouded in such material floors in offices and public institutions.It consists of three layers - the basics of protective and decorative layers.
- Commercial - has high wear resistance and is designed for public institutions with a heavy load, does not have a large selection of color staining.
- Special - to such material concerns several types of linoleum.
- -slip - part of the mineral aggregates, gives the material relief structure.
- with sports coverage - used on sports fields, and has a top layer of polyurethane, which increases the wear resistance.
- bacterial coating - used in health care facilities in the mixture are added various microbicides.
- with soundproofed antistatic - is used in rooms with high demands on acoustics, the material also dissipates static electricity, so not harmful to the electronics.
addition, the manufacturer of linoleum classifies such groups:
- labeling 21-23 - material intended for premises;
- labeling 31-34 - material intended for public institutions;
- labeling 41-43 - material is intended for industrial premises.
also on a roll if there is a literal mark, then it can be denoted as follows:
- F or M - low degree of wear;
- P - average degree of wear;
- T - wear-resistant material.
How to lay linoleum on concrete floor
Virtually any floor covering involves laying on a firm and level surface, and the linoleum is not exception in this respect.In general, the prepared concrete foundation is ideal for assembly of the building material as it has sufficient strength and hardness.
Required tools and materials:
- selected linoleum;
- hot or cold welding (depending on the type of glue joints);
- adhesive composition for linoleum;
- ruler, pencil, construction knife and scissors;
- laser level or the level (to check the smoothness of the concrete floor);
- leveling compound (if required to align the concrete base);
- primer and waterproofing composition;
- masking tape;
- plinth and accessories.
- Before you make a purchase liked the flooring should be to make the most precise measurements of the room in which it is assumed linoleum flooring.Be sure to pay special attention to the corners of the speaker, as well as the presence of fixed elements.If you chose to cover with a beautiful pattern, but require adjustment, it is necessary to purchase goods at 10-15% more than required for the measurements.Rolls advisable to buy from the same batch to avoid differences in color.
- next important step - it is the alignment of the concrete floor under the linoleum.Since linoleum quite elastic material, in the operation of all the irregularities will be felt very well, so the alignment process should not be ignored in any case.
- With the leveling or building level checked inclines.And if there are fluctuations of more than 2-4 cm, the first floor will have to align the special rovnitelem rude or simple cement-sand screed, if the difference in the horizontal less than 2 cm, it is possible to use self-leveling compounds.
- the presence of individual holes or fissures simply sealed by any suitable means, and if there are bumps - shoot them down and also aligned in a single plane.
- sand-cement screeds are dried for 2-4 weeks, floors, depending on the company's products can dry from 3 days to 2 weeks.This time, it is imperative to sustain, or between the door and the concrete floor moisture will begin to accumulate and gradually cover unusable.
- When preparing the concrete floor under the linoleum is fully completed, it is recommended to cover the waterproofing mixture as concrete refers to porous materials, which are easy to absorb moisture.On top of the waterproofing layer is applied antiseptic primer.All work should be done at zero temperature (+ 17- + 25 ° C) and relative humidity less than 70%.Under such conditions, the drying process will occur naturally.
- If there is a need for an additional layer of insulated, then primed with the base was covered with insulating material, it can be a cork insulation, the substrate for laminate or polystyrene.In principle, if the choice was made in favor of a multi-layer linoleum on a foam basis, an additional layer of thermal or acoustic insulation is not applied in other cases it is better not to skip this process, because the concrete - a cold surface.
- Once all preparations have been completed the procedure, you can move on to the deck of the floor covering.