Repair in the bathroom has always been one of the most difficult and laborious.This is largely due to the tightness of the room, the presence of water pipes and cumbersome bathroom.But there is another important factor that keeps many of the owners of capital or decoration - is the high cost of materials and finishing.But time and technology do not stand still, so the market there are new finishing materials.One of such materials are plastic plates.Repair of bathroom panels with their own hands can be attributed to simple and accessible works, as for the walls and ceiling of this material, special knowledge and skills are required.
- Advantages and disadvantages of panels
- Repair of bathroom wall panels
- Calculation of materials
- mounting panels to the frame
- Mounting panels with liquid nails
- Repair of bathroom panels: video lesson
Benefitsand disadvantages panels
Repair of bathroom panels PVC certainly has a number of advantages.B
The benefits include :
- a wide range of colors and shades;
- resistance to moisture.This artificial material is not exposed to water, mold and mildew, and this is particularly important in high humidity bathroom;
- ease of installation.All work can be done alone, not having special knowledge or skills.For newcomers to the construction of bathroom renovation panels is very convenient;
- ability to hide communication.This feature allows the wall panels lay pipes or wiring in any part of the bathroom without breaking the beautiful design;
- possibility of additional insulation, noise and soundproofing.As in the case of communications, the space between the panels and the wall can be filled with insulating cake;
- unpretentious and easy to care for.The surface of the panel is flat and smooth, makes it easy to clean them;
- simple replacement of one or more panels if necessary.With a simple method of attaching the panels if damaged can be easily replaced with new ones, without resorting to large-scale repair;
- low price.
Disadvantages include :
- poor resistance to mechanical damage.Unfortunately, the plastic panels do not tolerate high mechanical loads.But nobody is going to beat especially with something heavy on the walls in the bathroom;
- artificial material;
- in the first days after the installation there is a technical odor.Due to the fact that PVC panels - an artificial material, they are engaged in the production of chemical industry.And this in turn implies the use of substances and of little unpleasant odor, which eventually fade away;
- to mounting rails decreases effective area of the room.The advantage of the wall panels to hide the communication and put extra insulation layer offset by the fact that this method of installation reduces the effective area of the bathroom.And it is not palatable, especially for bathrooms with a small area.
Repair of bathroom wall panels
As noted earlier, all installation panels are fairly simple and does not require any special knowledge or skills.But before you make a bathroom renovation panels efficiently, you must know the features and methods of installation of panels and materials to perform the calculation.
Repair of bathroom panels - Photo
for repair bathroom plastic panels will take some tools and materials.
From materials required:
- plastic panels;
- wooden plank thickness of 10 - 20 mm or metal profiles;
- special metal holders;
- screws, dowels or liquid nails;
- special impregnation against mold and fungi;
- insulating materials.
From tools required:
- a fine-toothed handsaw or jigsaw (perfect hacksaw);
- hammer drill or a hammer;
- level and tape measure.
Important!There are only two ways to install plastic panels: for liquid nails and crate.The first option would require a flat surface of the walls and ceiling, but keep useful floor area.Option mounting crate allows to hide the communication to make extra insulation, but at the same time reduce the space.Which one to choose, to decide the hosts directly.
Calculation of materials
calculate the number of panels is fairly easy.You need to know the size of the bathroom, to calculate the area to trim.For example, the area that needs to be finished, is 7.5 m2.Panel dimensions of 0.25 m to 2.7 m, which is 0.75 m2.Now divide the 7.5 / 0.75 = 10 pcs.
Important!Calculations must be borne in mind that beauty is best to mount the panel from a single piece.Therefore, to calculate the amount you can measure the perimeter of the room less the doorway and divide it by the width of the panel.The resulting value is better rounded side.
Calculation of ceiling panels is performed by dividing the size of one side of the room to the width of the panel.The length of the panel is chosen based on the largest size of the parties.For example, if the width of the bathroom does not exceed 1.4 - 1.5 m, then you can safely buy a 3 meter long panel and cut them in half.And if the largest party of more than 2 m, then select the panel length 2.6 or 2.7 m.
When mounting the panels on a frame made of wood or metal profile, you should calculate the amount of material.You need to know the perimeter of the premises, which, in fact, is one of a number of long frame.Next, measure the height from floor to ceiling, divide it by 0.4 m. Such a step would be the maximum allowable to panels did not cave in.The resulting number of rows multiplied by the perimeter, it is the total length of the frame.
mounting panels to the frame
primarily to clean the walls and ceiling of the old finishing materials.Then treat the surface with the appearance of mold and mildew.If you are planning to make a frame made of wood, while the same process all tool bars.
While the bars dry, mark up on the walls and ceiling of the place of their installation.Position the upper bar on the wall will be 5 cm below the ceiling, and the lower 5 cm above the floor or the bath edge.The ceiling keep the same distance with the exception that it is away from the wall.The bars on the walls and ceiling should be installed perpendicular with respect to future panels.That is, when the panels are placed vertically, the frame to be horizontal rows and vice versa.
now undercuts all the bars to the right length and planned for them in terms of hardware.Then applying the label to stick to the wall and hold it zasverlivaem holes therein so as to remain on the wall of the drill tags.The obtained points zasverlivaem hole plugs.The resulting hole and trying to drive dowel fasten straps to the wall with screws 6h60.Using a level, it follows that all strips were in the same plane.If the wall is uneven, some places need to put a large dips pad of wood or other material.
Important!In narrow places, such as above a doorway frame strips can be placed on a small distance from each other.If the ceiling is planned to install additional lighting fixtures, in their places of installation frame is necessary to strengthen cross bars, which will be attached to the plastic panel.
Further, if it is planned, between the rows of stacked frame insulation materials, and you can install the panels in place.Mount the start of their most prominent corner of the room.In the first instance, moldings and panel are cut to length.
Important!The panel has a connecting tongue and groove design.
Then set the angle of the corner connecting molding plant in a side panel, where the groove.With a little effort, drive the panel in until it stops.It remains to fix the panel to the frame strips.To do this, we use screws 3,5h16 which is screwed into the protruding tenon panel.Also for fixing panels use special metal holders who closely prop up the panel and secured to the frame strips with screws or nails.Subsequent panels are the same.All the corners and junctions stacked special moldings.
Important!If at the end of the wall panel not included in width, it can be cut lengthwise and after installation to hide the edge of the corner molding.
mounting panels on the ceiling the same way.The first corner molding mounted, and a first panel.But there is one trick.Since the ceiling falls in the full review, the panel must have its symmetrical shape.Therefore, if necessary, trim panels for beauty can be cut first and the last so that they have the same width.
undeniable advantage of mounting ceiling panels to the frame is possible to install spotlights.The main thing is to separate wiring and pre-cut holes in the panels under the lights.
Mounting panels with liquid nails
This mounting method is somewhat simpler, but requires a high-quality surface preparation.As in the case of fastening the carcass, initially remove all of the old finish.Then we impregnate the wall by means of mold and mildew.Next plasterers wall, making its surface smooth as possible.The maximum permissible error may be 2 - 2.5 mm.
Now set the corner molding.Dot applied to the surface panel liquid nails, trying to evenly cover the entire surface.Step can take 20 - 25 cm. Then putting a wall and molding factory in the groove.Subsequent panels are installed the same way.
These two options fixture PVC panels can be combined: for walls used liquid nails, and to make the flow of the frame.This will save storage space and at the same time to make a beautiful light.
Repair bathrooms and toilets with plastic panels - a simple, affordable and, most importantly, cheaper option of finishing.Of course, the panel has its weaknesses, but the pros, perhaps more.Such a simple and quick repairs can allow those who have a little time or a limited budget.
Repair of bathroom panels: video lesson