Virtually none built building is complete without a functional element such as a ladder.It is the main or auxiliary input, the front or the inside, march or screw - a huge variety of options, including the material of manufacture.Since ancient times, the increasing popularity won the wooden stairs.Modern their performance so advanced that they can decorate almost any interior or exterior.In addition, the tree - a natural, environmentally friendly material that can contribute to the surrounding atmosphere of charm, warmth and comfort.This article will talk about how to fix the creaking wooden stairs.
- main structural elements of the design basis
- - bearing elements
- elements fence
- flights and landings
- reasons why creaking wooden staircase creaks
- staircase that do
Wood refers to affordable, durable and reliable construction materials, whose positive qualities are confirmed for centuries.And today, the oldest preser
- But along with the huge advantages of wooden stairs, they have one drawback - in the operation of high probability of squeaking.
- Usually unpleasant rasping sound comes in contact or friction ladder elements together.Before we understand the reasons, you should consider the basic design of the wooden stairs.
main structural elements of
Drawing attention to the huge number of various ladders made of wood, it seems that the only similarities between them and their main function of material and workmanship.But even taking into account that they are made on individual projects and have a variety of unique designs, their design still consists of the same basic elements.
base structure - bearing elements
to the support member includes two kinds of beams which differ in the way they secure steps.Selecting a specific type of construction is dependent on personal preferences inhabitants of the house or apartment, as well as the parameters of the room in which you plan to install the staircase, first of all it concerns interfloor height and width of the opening into which the wooden products.
- stringers - oblique bar of solid wood.At its upper portion is cut or sawn in a comb, which are set on top of stages which can be fixed in special slots on the adhesive, or by hardware.The element can be mounted on both sides or a middle (central).When viewed from the side ends of the stages are reviewed.This design has a smaller weight and compact dimensions.
- Bowstring - supporting part in the form of a bar with slots (slots), carved on the inside for fastening them in stages, with their face hidden behind the bowstring.This design has a significant weight and require more space for installation, but has an attractive appearance, due to the fully closed to the bottom of the stairs.
main element considered fence railing , which provide a safe descent and ascent.The railing is made of several parts:
- rail - horizontal part of the rails, it can also be installed separately from the railing on the wall, where one part of the staircase adjacent to it closely.The main purpose of the element - support for the arms while driving;
- balusters - vertical supports, which are fixed handrails and decorative elements.Can only be installed at the bottom and top of the stairs, but more often at regular intervals along the entire march, in which case they are fixed on top of the railing, and the bottom in podbalyasnik and perform enclosing function.Have round, curly or straight shape;
- supporting pillars - the basis for the installation of handrails and railing for the pillars necessary for fixing kosoura or string.Distinct input poles mounted on the first rung of the ladder, the output posts - respectively in the last stage and the rotary columns installed in places where the staircase makes a turn or bend.
flights and landings
- Perhaps the main and essential structural element, without which it is difficult to imagine a ladder, you can call stage , they are executed in the form of horizontal bars and together make up a flight of stairs.They serve to support the foot, and in turn are composed of:
- tread - horizontally located Planck area is stages, which occur when walking on stairs, is attached to the comb into the groove kosoura or string;
- riser - element positioned vertically, is the height of the stage, it is more a support and a protective function.Maybe tight or partially close the space between the degrees, in some cases, completely missing.
- There are several varieties of stages in appearance - sloping, arched, straight and wedge-shaped, and functionality - frieze (upper and lower), and ordinary winder.For their manufacturing hardwood, providing additional rigidity and prevents traces of mechanical action.Between the tread and riser often drives a wedge required for rigid fixation step.
- march usually ends platform , it can be a square or a rectangle, but can also have a non-standard form.This transition to the next level, in some cases, serves as a platform floor of the next floor.
reasons why creaking wooden staircase
reasons why creaking stairs can be a little.Among the main isolated natural processes inherent in the wood.
- Shrinkage - any wood contains moisture in the composition and the operation of the process of its environmental impact, if the design was going from bad-dried boards, that this phenomenon is simply impossible to avoid.Wood provides natural moisture for the year shrunk to 7-8%, and this is enough for the appearance of small gaps between the basic elements of the ladder.It should be the choice of material for the construction of the structure to give preference to well-dried logs and planks from the rocks, giving a minimum percentage of shrinkage (maple, larch, ash, oak) and harvested in the winter.Usually suffer from shrinkage such sites as the joint riser and tread, string or kosoura and tread compound with handrail balusters or podbalyasnikom.
- deformation, fracture and wear - from long operation affects many things, wood products are no exception, especially if the design is in aggressive environments (high humidity, low temperature and a large cross-country).Creak usually occurs in the joints of the tread to the riser.This process can prevent the timely treatment of the material with various protective means, they should be applied at the stage of the workpiece, and while collecting stairs, especially when processing all the joints and seams.
- The shattered mount components or unglued - this phenomenon is due to the poor quality of adhesive used, but also because of the application for connection screws.As a rule, to connect parts together applied nuts and bolts, which are very easy to tweak if necessary, tapping this opportunity do not have and if they start to get out, then they can only be replaced by placing them in a new location.
- Incorrect fitting parts - this problem occurs because of the negligence of the master or inexperienced in self-assembled structure.As soon as the problem itself can not be detected, but in service components start to come.It is important before starting a separate collection stairs, carefully study the entire process, and if you purchase a ready design, the check upon receipt of the joint basic elements and immediately correct all defects.
- deflection floor - the problem is very difficult to be eliminated, since in some cases, even a complete dismantling of the product, so before installing the ladder, the floor under the main carrier and its supporting elements should be carefully strengthened special racks or additional beam.
Many of these causes can be prevented at the stage of collection, but if you time it was not possible and a ladder while walking along it emits sounds unpleasant to the ear, it is necessary to take all necessary steps to resolve the problems.
Creaking stairs that do
- first step in connecting elements between a ladder should pay special attention to joining the main parts, that it is the most dense, preventing the formation of further backlash.But if the cause is still creaking in the shattered compound, it is first necessary to identify problem areas.
- to establish the precise location have to squeak walk up and down a flight of stairs.If there are any decorative coatings, for example, carpets on the stairs, they necessarily remove.The task is simplified if there is free access to the back of the stairs (a step).Renovation works best together.
Tip: one man goes down under the stairs and mark the problem areas, and the second at this time runs up and down the stairs and loudly calls those numbers where there is a nasty sound.
- Once marked all the creaking steps, you should check whether the site is not loosened, and the compound bearing beams, which are fixed stringers or string.Particular attention should be paid to the connecting elements and fasteners.If necessary, set a new rubber gasket between the bolts and wood or metal parts are lubricated with special structures.
- main elements where, as a rule, there are problems, it is the junction of steps, since it is they put more pressure when moving, and accordingly they are subject to greater strain.If the tread and riser were fixed with nails, that during the operation they may become loose, and there was a small gap.
- In an open staircase design steps to fix better on the lower side.When a small injury can be further drive a 2-3 nail at an angle to the tread.For the construction of stairs are usually chosen hardwood (oak, beech, elm), it provides maximum durability and eliminates galling main parts.But the disadvantage of this material is that tighten the screws or drive the nails without damaging the tree is almost impossible.So before you fasten parts wire products, drill hole diameter is less than the binding element.
Tip: stick to re-print the connection is not recommended, they are not qualitatively strengthen and soon the problem comes back creak.You also can not tighten the screws or bolts to existing holes, or very close to them.
- If there is confidence that the creaking occurs because of a frayed wedges, which are located between the tread and the riser, or stringers, they can carefully remove the inside of the steps, clean off the old glue, grease protective structures and re-fix with glue-PVA or liquid nails.
- In rare cases it happens that the wedges themselves shrink or expand (this may occur due to the use of poorly dried wood), and there is a need to change their shape so that they clearly come into place and perform its primary function.Then, a more effective measure is considered to be a complete replacement of wedges or adding extra plates mounted on the screws.
- If the problem is more serious, and the gap has a decent gap, before items to attract each other, it is necessary to make additional wedges or planochki.It is advisable to treat the seams with special glue for wood and, if necessary, further tighten the tread and riser.When repairing the inner side parts are aligned so that the front side were invisible.If possible repairs inside not, steps, or lifted the lever, or scoring wedges protruding parts neatly sawed off and hide.
- wedges may also be necessary when the grooves frayed string.To do this, prepare a small wedges, coat with their glue and drive in the lower side in the groove under the stage.
- The fully shaky steps recommended to install additional stiffeners - special sticks, tightening risers to tread.There are designs that do not have a bottom open access.
- sometimes creaking is seasonal, ie with an increase in humidity in the room, wood, from which the staircase, swell and become larger parts of grooves in which they are placed, respectively, is now come close they can not.To the wood does not absorb moisture from the air, it should be treated with a variety of repellents.
- also to avoid seasonal creaking, it is possible in the dry season to treat all joint elements of design with silicone or paraffin.The sealant should be selected colorless and after it has been applied, the stairs is better not to go for 24-48 hours to harden the composition.
- Experts advise in areas of contact details with each other to establish laying of resilient material or tape to stick damper, which will compensate for the stretching or squeezing the timber.
- Perform all work to secure the best tread under its load, that is, it must be set to a load, such as a weight or a bag of sand, the total weight should be about 80 kg.
- in the ladder with 3 kosoura, squeaking usually occurs near the middle of them.In such a case, further steps in the fixed comb central beam by means of glue or metal fasteners.
From long operation almost all the wooden stairs creak start, regardless of what kind of wood they are made, which are designed as steps on it, and what form the railing.But if the process of getting rid of an unpleasant sound to come from the mind, then get rid of it quickly and most importantly a long time.Besides, it is not difficult to change the overall look and grown old staircase, restored it.