In operation, window sills, it is necessary to restore their original appearance.How to repair the window sill with his hands covered in this article.
- Reasons for repair sill
- main varieties sills
- Repair of plastic window sills
- repair of wooden window sills
- Repair concrete sill
- Restoring stone sill
- Restoration sill chipboard
Reasons for repair sill
Sill is an important structural component of a window, which performs the following functions:
- window gives an aesthetic appearance, in harmony with the overall design of the room;
- increases the thickness of the warm air layer, through which the possible loss of heat;
- serves as condensate, thereby preventing leakage of moisture on the walls;
- sill - the perfect place to put flowers;
- helps simplify the process of leaving the windows, in washing or cleansing;
- modern wide window sills are used as a sofa or table tops.
Sill perform many useful functions, but prolon
reasons to repair the window sill:
- appearance of traces of flower pots,
- defeat sill hot objects,
- deformation of the surface,
- mechanical damage to the sill.
To avoid the repair or restoration of a window sill and to ensure long-term use of the object to be before choosing a window sill to check it for compliance to quality window sill:
- sill must be resistant to moisture in order to prevent deformation of the surface during operation,
- resistanceUV will help avoid burnout or change the color of the sill,
- resistance to mechanical damage will have on the windowsill flowers or other things,
- easy care - save time on cleaning the window sill,
- harmless and environmentally friendly materials will help to maintain health and prevent allergies,
- natural and attractive appearance will help to harmoniously fit into the design of the sill of the room.
main varieties sills
Depending on the type of material from which made the window sill isolated:
- plastic window sills,
- wooden window sills,
- concrete sills,
- stone window sills,
- sills of chipboard.
1. Plastic windowsills most practical and easy to use.Advantages of the plastic window sill:
- easy care,
- simple installation,
- low cost,
- variety of colors.
drawbacks to using plastic window sill:
- instability to mechanical damage,
- highly flammable,
2. Wooden window sills are well in tune with windows and natural wood give the room warmth and comfort.
- harmless and environmentally friendly;
- easy installation;
- resistance to mechanical damage;
- naturalness and natural appearance.
- high level vlagopogloschaemosti leads to deformation of the sill,
- lung inflammation,
- appearance of mold and mildew,
- high cost.
3. Concrete windowsills - advantages:
- the possibility of staining in any color,
- appearance of potholes,
- complexity of the restoration,
- high vlagopogloschaemost.
Stone window sills are of two types:
- of artificial stone,
- of natural stone.
sills made of artificial stone are cheaper than natural.Various dyes help create the sill of any shade and texture.Such sills require special care polishes.Sill of artificial stone thermostable, it is moisture, but is easily scratched.
Windows made of natural stone is most often made of onyx, granite or marble.The most durable - granite window sills.Marble window sills have a nice aesthetic appearance and diversity of native flowers.
stone sills - it's very beautiful, but impractical solution.Such sills are unstable to mechanical damage, moisture, easy to get dirty and hard to clean.
4. sills of chipboard is made of moisture-resistant material, which is coated with laminate.
- strength, stiffness,
- mechanical resistance,
- resistance to UV,
- heat resistance,
- variety of textures and colors,
- ease of care.
Repair of plastic window sills
In operation, plastic window sills often appear reasons to repair the window sill.
Repair Plastic windowsills will help two ways:
- installing plastic nozzle on the windowsill,
- replacing the sill.
pads mounted on those sills, the thickness of which does not exceed 60 mm.In most overlay is made of rigid PVC.
Advantages of the plastic lining:
- cost savings investments,
- ease of installation,
- save physical strength,
- resistance to UV,
- moisture resistance,
- variety of colors will pick padunder the color or texture of the window.
Installation Tools lining:
1. Clean the old sill from dirt and dust.In the presence of cracks or depressions repaint them with glue.
2. Using the measuring tape, measure the size of the window recess.Trim the excess liner according to the size.
3. Wipe the window sill alcohol or acetone solution.
4. Apply assembly adhesive to the surface of an old windowsill.
5. Replace the cover press, for example, old books.
6. Leave the window sill for 4-5 hours to completely dry.
7. crotch between the sill plate and should be filled with silicone.
8. To order the ends of the sill must purchase a special plug.
9. To install the cap, measure the length of the sill and cut the desired item.Bonding stub takes place with the mounting adhesive.
10. After you install and completely dry lining, remove the protective film.Repair of plastic window sill made.
Replacing plastic sill a long and complex process that requires additional financial and physical investments.To replace the sill should be broken wall space near the window, and therefore provide the additional cost of finishing the walls.Therefore, the presence of small and minor injuries is recommended to install a plastic nozzle, which will hide all the defects and give the aesthetic appearance of the plastic window sills.
repair of wooden window sills Wooden window sills
require careful maintenance due to increased vlagopogloschaemosti, so it is recommended every three to four years, to cover the wooden floor special impregnations and varnishes in order to extend the life of the sill.
If on the window sill in use were minor scratches or damage, use the putty wooden sill.
Caulking help improve water resistance, strength, elasticity sill.
instructions to restore the wooden window sill:
1. With a special solution or a heat gun to remove old paint surplus.
2. Examine the window sill for deformation, scratches or dents.
3. When a superficial injury, use acrylic plaster, with large dent recommended to use putty with glass fibers.
4. Also putty should purchase impregnation and primer that will help ensure a good grip putty and wood, as well as prevent the development of mold and mildew on the surface of the sill.
5. The first layer - impregnation, after which you want to wait 60 minutes for the primer.
6. After drying the primer should be initiated luting surface.Apply several coats of spatula and smooth the surface.
7. After drying putty proceed to sand sill with sandpaper.
8. The next step involves staining and lacquering on the surface of the sill.
9. The paint is applied on the window sill in an unusual way.
10. Spread a plastic film to avoid soiling the floor.
11. Pour the ink in small increments on the window sill, so that it is spread out over the entire surface without using a roller or brush.
12. Wait for the complete drying of the surface.Remove minor irregularities or stains of paint with sandpaper.
13. In the same manner, apply lacquer.Once dry, sand the surface.
Repair concrete sill
consider two ways to repair the old sill made of concrete.
recovery sill using putty.
1. If there is paint on the windowsill, it should be removed with a special solution or equipment.
2. After cleaning the surface, apply a primer.
3. The next step - puttying surfaces.
4. After drying putty, apply one coat of primer and then paint the surface.
second method involves the restoration of the concrete sill using grout.
1. Remove the paint from the window sill.
paint removal methods:
- with a layer thickness of 3 mm using electrophile gas burner or chemical solutions,
- about the thickness of 3 mm is recommended to use a hammer building.
2. The cleaned surface should always be primed.Pay attention to the drying time of the primer, which is specified in the instructions.
3. Prepare a mixture that consists of fine gravel and cement of 1: 1.The consistency of the mixture should be thick.
4. Install the formwork to the edge of the sill and apply the solution.
5. After the expiration of two days, abrade the surface with a sander or sandpaper.
Tip: During grinding the sill should be periodically watered the surface of the water, in order to achieve better results.
6. The final stage - the sill trim: painting or installation of tile.
Restoring stone sill
for the restoration of artificial stone sill, there are special funds, such as impregnation, gels or pastes.
to restore the stone sill to use grinder that will help remove fine scratches and surface roughness.
Then apply special solutions that restore the structure of the stone.
After drying solutions need more time to grind and polish the window sill.
To restore the window sill, made of natural stone, it is best to use the services of professionals.Since natural stone is more sensitive to the grinding and to use various solutions.
Proper care will help keep the stone sill presentable surface for a long time.When placing the flower pots, should be laid special substrate of felt that will prevent scratches.Avoid the appearance of moisture or hot objects on the surface of natural stone.
Restoration sill chipboard
reason for the repair of laminated sill stands high humidity, which provokes deformation or peeling of the surface friability of laminate flooring.
instruction execution sill repair chipboard:
1. Clean and remove the sill of the tree, which may peel off.
2. With temrofena dry surface and the grinder or sandpaper will polish damage.
3. Make a solution of sawdust and white glue.
4. Fill the solution space formed after polishing the surface.
5. Put on the windowsill the press, to ensure complete drying and prevent deformation.
6. Cover the restored section of silicone.
7. With mounting adhesive glue previously removed portion of laminate.