do repairs in the bathroom - it's one of the most labor-intensive processes.It encompasses many stages, from removing the old tiles and leveling walls prior to installation of the new cladding material and careful sealing of all joints.Deciding to perform the entire scope of work on their own, we must carefully examine the nuances, not to make mistakes.The article focuses on how to make grouting tiles.
- Types of tile grout for joints
- cement grout tile
- epoxy grout tile grout
- based on furan resin
- Grouting tile in the bathroom
- How to choose the color of grout
- Grouting tile
- reasons due to which cracks grout
- How to prevent cracking of the mixture trowel
- Manufacturers grouting tile
Forms tile grout for joints
When selecting the grouting in the first placebased on the type and purpose.Since the choice of grout for tile joints is very diverse, you should carefully read the composition of the package.They c
most popular by far, grouting epoxy resin or cement.They are ideal for filling tile joints.But it is worth remembering that for sealing larger gaps between the lining and the floor is recommended to use only a silicone sealant.
cement grout tile
- often goes on sale in the form of a dry mix, which is required before you start to breed until the desired consistency yourself.To do this, use a latex or plain water.But you can buy ready-made cement grout.Its price will be much higher, but the layman does not have to spend time on the selection of the correct proportions.
- cement-based grout is divided into two types - from the sand in the composition and no.The composition of sand is recommended if the seam between the tiles than 3 mm.When the distance of 1 mm to 2 mm, it is better to use grout without sand.In any case, every manufacturer on the package indicates the recommended width of the joint.
- Important: grout with sand is undesirable to use for grouting neemalirovannoy facing.For example, hard particles can damage the surface of natural marble or glazed tiles.
Despite the fact that the cement grout are the most popular, they have several drawbacks:
- because of the constant interaction with moisture over time, they are destroyed;
- have low resistance to chemicals.
epoxy grout tile
- As the name implies, the main component - epoxy resin combined with a hardener.Thanks to them, the fugue is highly resistant to chemical composition and mechanical damage.
- Another important advantage of this grout is long-term preservation of the original color (40-50 years).But because of its high cost is practically not used at home.
- view of a viscous consistency and certain rules of work with it, to use it is not recommended to lay people.Besides pairs epoxy harmful to humans, so it is necessary to work with only a respirator.Its use is justified only if the width of the seams between the tiles is 6 mm or more.
- But there is an alternative, where a part of the epoxy grout included Portland.In terms of work, it is no different from a cement analog, but has a high specification.
- Another feature with epoxy grout is to select the most tiles.The edges of the cladding material must be absolutely flat and, therefore, for floating glazes it is unsuitable.
Grout based on furan resin
- This grout is manufactured on the basis of furanol furfilovogo and alcohol.This is one of the most resistant to the chemical composition of fluids, including the strong acid.The distinguishing feature is the absence of water in the composition.
- The disadvantages include not only the high price, but also the complexity of working with her.It requires special measures to prepare the surface, which are quite time-consuming.Use it at home is not recommended.
Before choosing a grout, you can consult a dealer or examine carefully the recommendations on the package.
Important: You can not use for grouting glue, which made laying tiles.
Grouting tile in the bathroom
doing repairs in the bathroom it is important to carefully insulate the walls from moisture.In addition to the tile joints, there are still many gaps, which also need to be processed.
- joints between tiles .This is the most time-consuming process, for which special water-resistant formulations.
- gaps between the walls and the bathroom .This is necessary to protect the surface in a remote place from the mold.
- Mouldings .When present, the joints should also be treated with a sealant to prevent moisture from entering.
How to choose the color of grout
- defined the type of grout, you should choose the right color it.This is an important aspect that affects the general view of the bathroom.Since, despite the quality of the facing material and design, ugly tile joints can spoil all impression.
- Correct to choose the color grouts ceramic tiles based on the individual design of the bathroom, which is composed not only of the cladding material, but also furniture and sanitary ware.There are certain classical canons, which are trying to follow all professionals.Thus, for light tile grout selected tone or a little darker, but lighter.Conversely, the seams for a dark tile is recommended to choose to match or make a little more light.
- also floating in a slightly lighter tone or help create a monolithic whole cladding, without separation sharp edges.This is especially important when laying ceramic tiles or panels with drawing printing.And, if necessary, to allocate each tile, creating a kind of framing her, Joint compound selected darker or more saturated color.In most cases, such a method is used in the mosaic mounting or during the creation of the composition of different sized rings.
Tip: some fugue with saturated color may stain light-colored tiles.So before you start, it is necessary to check on a separate copy of a facing material.This will reveal not only quality products, but also how well it is combined with tile.In addition, when completely dried, grout, in most cases, changes its hue.
- Large color spectrum tile grout can stump.If there is an alarm that in the process of shade may disappoint, it is better to opt for a plain white fugue.This is the classic version, which will be appropriate in most cases.To extend its service life it is necessary to choose only moisture resistant composition suitable for the bathroom.Also on sale were special protective measures that are applied on top of the white grout, thereby preventing it from darkening.
- But the grout between the tiles on the floor of the white color is not advisable to use, as they quickly become dirty.The best choice for outdoor cladding becomes a fugue gray or brown.
Before starting work it is necessary to prepare all the necessary tools:
- rubber squeegee to apply the fugue;
- gloves, preferably rubber, because the composition of the grout is harmful to the skin;
- clean dry cloth, it will need to clean the tile surface with the composition;
- if necessary, close the floor tiles need a piece of plywood;
- bucket of clean water;
- to finish removing grout handy sponge for washing dishes.
- preferred grouting in the bathroom to start with the walls.In order to avoid staining the floor, his pre-closing any material that will no longer be a pity to throw.When everything is ready, you can start mixing grouts.
- taken for this small container.It is filled with the required quantity of water (for the first time to breed better not too much) and then poured dry mixture.Adding grout must gradually, stirring constantly mass.The sequence of these operations is extremely important if water is added to the dry mix, it inevitably formed clumps that are nearly impossible to completely dissolve.
- To better stir fugue is recommended to use a mixer.With this task well handle screwdriver with a special nozzle.Initially, the mixture is mixed gently at a very low speed to dry component solution does not scatter around the room.Once the desired consistency has been reached, it is possible to increase the speed and stir for several minutes until a homogeneous mixture without lumps.
- to lay recommended to plant no more than 1 kg of grout at the same time, since it pretty quickly hardens and becomes unfit for work.
- Before applying the grout need to moisten all the joints between the tiles.For this fit as a simple paint brush and spray.This is not only prolong the time with the mixture, but will also increase the adhesion of materials.
- work with grout should be finished fairly quickly, but carefully.When using a rubber scraper solution driven into the joints between the tiles.You must try to do it as tightly as possible.Particular attention should be paid to the seams in corners and other hard to reach places.The fact that there could be formed voids, due to lack of adhesive, which makes installation of tiles.It does not matter if the resulting free space to fill in carefully grouts.
- Initially major fugue from the surplus workers cleaned tiles with a rubber spatula.If this is overlooked, then later cleaned the tiles will be much harder, and the composition of consumption will increase significantly.
- But not only the joints between the tiles are subject to mandatory jointing, do not forget about the hole cut for electrical outlets and plumbing pipes.
- finished work on filling seams, a ready draft grout.First of all, until the composition had not yet completely come to grips need to smooth out all the seams by removing irregularities.Here handy sponge for washing utensils (its soft, foam rubber side).Moisten it with water, gently pressing it carried along all the tile joints, after which they become smooth and even.
- The same foam sponge to clean the entire surface of the tile.This can be done as a simple water as well as with detergent.But these actions are carried out immediately after the jointing, while the solution is still malleable.
- It also happens that the time to remove the remains of grout failed and she had time to harden.In this case, you must use a special abrasive grater, which is different from the usual that does not scratch the surface of the tile.But in any case, we recommend that you try to apply it to the unnecessary tile.When the entire surface cleaned in this manner will only rub all wet sponge.
Important: during the removal of the Fugue need to try as little as possible to humidify it because the moisture will weaken the solution is already done.
- When working with walls finished, you can begin grouting on the floor tiles.All actions will be identical.
- If necessary, plug the joints in the tiles with a pronounced texture, for example, simulating a brick or masonry work is necessary especially carefully.To do this, use a special bag that looks like a candy store.Tie it should pick up over the width equal to or wipe-seam a little more subtle.Working with such a bag should move from top to bottom, it is desirable not for the length of one tile and the ceiling to the floor and one continuous seam.Number of extruded fugue should be slightly larger than required.After a short time the solution was slightly hardened, it tamped with a rubber spatula and allowed to grab the composition for 30 minutes.After this time, excess cleaned float.
Grouting tile video
reasons due to which cracks grout
Regardless of the value of the fugue, it happens that a couple of weeks grout begins to crack and crumble.What is the reason?In most cases, home repairs selected cement fugue.And for the correct setting, mortar requires special conditions, failure of which leads to its cracking.
most common cement-based grout cracks for the following reasons:
- in self kneading fugue was used too much water.Subsequently, due to evaporation, the volume of solution is reduced and cracks;
- if cladding material has a high porosity, it stops the hydration of the cement, whereby it does not gain sufficient strength;
- base on which is laid tiles, it has a motion.Most often this occurs in wooden houses that do not have time to finish completely undergo shrinkage;
- if was incorrectly matched trowel mix.For example, the selected cement fugue at the joint width of 5 mm.
If cracks appear, they themselves have never disappear.And it is fraught by moisture under the liner and the formation of mold, which can not be removed.Over time this will lead not only to the ugly appearance, but also to serious damage.
- It's easy to fix, if the grout is white or gray.In this case, it is a little catch-up with a sharp knife and applied a new layer on top.However, if the solution is colored, such manipulation will not help, since the layering of color may vary.In this case, it requires a time-consuming process of cleaning out the full tile from the cracked weld composition.
Important: a month of cement-based grout is gaining its maximum strength.Remove it without damaging the tiles, it will be extremely difficult.
How to prevent cracking of the mixture trowel
- surface before application must be clean and free from dust and greasy, and the composition of the correct consistency.It is recommended to mix carefully, but at a low speed to prevent the formation of air bubbles, which adversely affect the strength characteristics of the grout.
- finished solution should stand for 5-10 minutes to uniformly moistened.It is also important to make sure that the mixture has a good shelf life, otherwise it will be too soft.
- Sometimes cracks occur in the first hours of drying grout.This indicates that there is too much water.Some professionals in this case is rubbed directly on top of her trowel dry mix that assumes the excess moisture.
- never should try to accelerate the process of hardening of the grout.