glass blocks - a hollow glass bricks, which are widely used in construction and interior design.This material was widely used several decades ago during the construction of residential buildings, hospitals and various public buildings.Glass blocks of those times did not differ beauty and style, they are a normal box of cloudy glass with a rather narrow choice of colors.But thanks to a number of useful properties inherent in glass blocks, the revival of this material and its widespread use in interior design.Especially considering the fact that the modern glass blocks are available in different versions, have a very attractive appearance and are suitable for the realization of the most unexpected projects.
- advantages of glass blocks
- Varieties of glass blocks in the interior The use of glass blocks
- wall of glass blocks
- Partitions from glass blocks
- windows of glass blocks
- Decorating with glass
advantages of glass blocks
- first advantage of the use of glass blocksin the interior - a wide range of design solutions, which practically do not restrict the creator of the interior in the incarnation of his ideas.Manufacturers offer glass blocks in a variety of colors, in various embodiments the size, shape and surface texture of the material.
- second advantage, which is also very important when choosing the material for decoration - Specifications.Decorative material bears often not only an aesthetic function, it should withstand some stress and cope with external influences.Glass blocks virtually impossible to break, it reduces injuries when installing and operating.The material withstands temperatures from -40 to + 500C, and therefore free to apply for masonry exterior walls.
- installation of glass blocks is very simple.If one of the elements of the structure has been damaged, it is easy to change without the complete dismantling of the entire masonry.The level of noise isolation allows the use of glass blocks as a sound-insulating material in the bearing walls or partitions.The glass brick is ideal for places of high humidity, it does not pass water, and it is not terrible condensation.In addition to moisture and noise glass blocks are also well retains dust.
- Glass blocks are also economical material as perfectly keep heat inside the room and help reduce heating costs.In the hot season, this effect works in the opposite direction and do not miss the hot air into the room, keeping it cool.This completely non-flammable glass blocks and refer to materials with a high level of fire safety.
- Application of glass blocks in the chemical industry, hospitals, labs and other similar areas is possible thanks to the resistance of the material to aggressive chemicals.The service glass blocks are simple and practical.Material wash any domestic funds, with any contamination is removed from the surface of a very simple and easy.Dust the inside of a brick is possible as all products are hermetically sealed.
- Glass blocks lets in plenty of light, while not a transparent material like ordinary glass.The matte surface does not allow the curious prying eyes to see everything that happens on the other side of the wall of glass blocks, and the room will be lit well enough.The last and most important advantage of glass blocks - their low cost compared to similar materials for construction and decoration.
Species glass blocks
Concrete total separation of glass blocks on certain species do not exist.Materials differ in certain specific features, of which stand out 8 key:
- sized bricks.Standard and is most common sizes - 190h190h80 mm 240h240h80 mm mm 190h90h80 240h115h80 mm.
- shape of the product.The most popular glass blocks in the shape of a square, a rectangle and a triangle with rounded or curved edges.Furthermore the original design - glass blocks as a hexagon or shaped G.
- colors and filling.The colors are not limited to manufacturers of glass blocks and thus release them in a variety of colors.Also, the material is produced in a hollow or contain different decorative elements.Below photo glass bricks with decorative inclusions.
- inner surface texture brick.This figure not only affects the appearance of the material, but also on its ability to pass a light stream.The surface is made corrugated, smooth, matte, glossy, patterned or arbitrary.Also, the inner surface is colored or transparent.
- thickness of glass brick.This indicator affects the weight and strength of the glass block.The most common thickness of 6-7 mm.
- strength and resistance to corrosion.This index is composed of several characteristics, including the variety of glass, its thickness and structure of the brick.At a high level of performance glass blocks are not destroyed even by a shot from a firearm.
- Optical characteristics.This index indicates the degree of light transmission of brick and its effect on the light output.Glass blocks are guides, scattering, etc.
- Scope.This feature determines the assignment of the material and the nature of the premises for which it is intended.There is an indication of the different components, including the thickness of the glass, impact resistance, and other visual cues.There are three main groups - interior glass blocks, decorative and industrial.
The use of glass blocks in the interior
Besides wide use in industries that require durable material with a high level of fire safety and are not affected by the destruction of chemical and thermal stresses, glass is widely used in the interior.They are used as building material and in the form of additional decorating the surface.Glass blocks are used:
- for walls and partitions.Glass blocks are ideal for the construction of walls in rooms with high humidity, which needs strong material is moisture and temperature, and not subject to the formation of rot, fungus and corrosion.
- for masonry windows.Especially suitable material for the construction of the panoramic walls in private homes.As mentioned above, the glass blocks transmit light, but they are not transparent material.Room with a wall of this material is very light, warm and safe.
- as a decorative element.When redevelopment, repair, erection of arches and various designs.For the arrangement of the interior use of glass blocks has no boundaries.They are spread on a wall as a tile from the tile used for the construction of the door or window slopes.From glass bricks with decorative inclusions are present wall paintings with a stunning three-dimensional image.At the same time care for such a picture is very simple, and the inside elements never lose their brightness and appearance, thanks to hermetic soldering brick.
- to create furniture.Glass blocks have different sizes and therefore suitable not only for walls, but also for furniture.From thin glass blocks are glass facades in cabinet doors or conventional interior doors.Another example of this application - the creation of a fixed bar in a studio apartment.From glass block collected tables, side tables and coffee tables.The only drawback of this design - it stationary, furniture, glass blocks set once and for all.
wall of glass blocks
current trend involves alterations to remove one wall and erect others, a place that seems most appropriate property owners.This type of repair gives the opportunity to plan the space of the apartment to suit your needs.In the process it raises a very important question - what kind of material selected for the construction of new walls.Glass blocks in this case are an excellent option.
wall of glass blocks - a good solution for dark rooms with no windows.The wall between the dark and light room totally or partially spread of glass blocks and shaded room becomes bright and cozy.Such use of glass brick, not only makes the room more comfortable, but also gives you the opportunity to save on electricity, since no longer be necessary to light the lamp in the daytime.Rooms also at the same time remain divided both visually and technically.
With glass block share common bathrooms, they are a great alternative to a brick when the wall between the bathroom and the kitchen is constantly syreet and moldy.In the construction of the wall of glass block is only necessary to remember that, for all its beauty and transparency, glass looks pretty cool, because it is better to combine with other types of construction materials.For example, one part of the walls are plasterboard and other glass bricks.
Partitions from glass blocks
difference from the wall partitions is that it is not a blind structure that is necessarily connected to the ceiling and all the surrounding walls.The baffle is constructed as a shared space for the formation of parts, it is zoned or simply separating some of the objects of the total area.The upper part of the partition is performed in a flat plane or shaped.The first option is more practical since upper walls easily equipped with a shelf and allows the best use of space in small rooms.
The most common example of erecting walls of glass blocks - zoning bathroom or shower in public pools, fitness clubs, etc.in public places, this material is convenient because it can easily withstand constant and prolonged contact with water without losing its properties and appearance.In everyday life, this factor is also important, but not least, and aesthetic side of the issue.Glass blocks in the bathroom will be a continuation of the wall, they are perfectly in tune with any tile textures and colors, with the proviso that the tone of the glass is chosen correctly.The emphasis is on the bathroom because it was in this room is used for finishing the tile or ceramic, which are well in tune with the glass.For the same reason, a good design solution is the use of glass blocks in the kitchen, in the dining room, in the bath or sauna, indoor pool.
Glass blocks - is the best solution for the bathroom and in the event that the apartment is only one bathroom, and living with the large number of people.Partitions of this material make it convenient to use the room at the same time a few people, but in this case they need to build from the relief is poorly transparent bricks.In the residential area of the glass block walls look is not always appropriate and are recommended for such styles:
- Modern directions - loft, high-tech, urban.
- for baroque, neo-baroque, art deco elements suitable colored bricks, use products with decorative inclusions.
- Art Nouveau stained glass blocks supplemented, as these items will look good in classic Eastern style.
use of glass bricks in the living room depends on aesthetic preferences.However, styles in which designers do not recommend the use of elements from the glass blocks - a rustic and natural.To diversify the partition of the glass block and make it more original, combining different colors, or create a complex mosaic of blocks of different colors, sizes and colors.
to produce complex calculations and not to create a color wall project of the future, are the easiest option, and in some places a wall of glass bricks with decorative elements inserted inclusions.Partitions, like walls, glass blocks are made up of completely or combined with other types of materials.
windows of glass blocks
To make the room dark dead lighter, not necessarily all out a wall of glass blocks, enough to perform with them a small plot, that is, to build an internal window.This decision was important for the walls in the bathroom, hallway, living room, a corridor between the rooms, etc.
also performed with glass and exterior windows.This is especially significant for the wall in the bathroom, which opens onto the street.Plus this method is that it is possible to make a large picture window, which does not give the opportunity to look into the house to any passerby.Negatives - glass bricks is not transparent on both sides, that is, the window is not transparent from the inside.
Decorating with glass
widespread use of glass blocks as a decorating element.When masonry walls make small inserts of glass blocks that add visual lightness of design and comfort.Such a wall would not "push" creating an oppressive impression.Another type of application - insert into the wall on the basis of ceramic tiles.Glass Block bit stoked the wall, in this case it will not carry out the light, but it will reflect, did not lose their beauty.
When decorating the walls dotted with glass they should not be too much.Best option - 1 of 1 m2 of brick wall.Interesting interior solution - recessed into the glass block wall with a lamp hidden behind it.So to create a unique design for its beauty.Glass blocks are used in various kinds of decorating the walls, as an additional element.For example, when creating a painting on the wall paint or plaster, while the design of arches and fireplaces.In this case, often using colored blocks with decorative inserts, or stained glass.Glass blocks spread
screens for baths, is especially beautiful this design for large and angular containers.Another use in the bathroom - making the console sink.With proper selection of colors so the console will look unique.During the construction of stairs in steps inserted glass bricks, there will also be important to look light.Equipped with glass blocks not only the steps but also adjacent to the staircase wall, do it at any height.