In the professional building and home repairs can not do without silicone sealant.The material replaces traditional bituminous mixtures, and various homemade mastic putty used to bond parts, sealing joints and sealing of various cracks.
consider the technical and operational characteristics of the sealant, describe its species and features of the application, as well as give advice on the selection and application of silicone insulator.
- composition and properties of silicone sealant
- Scope of application of the sealant
- Forms silicone sealants and especially their application
- Overview of the main manufacturers of silicone sealant
- Tips on choosing the optimal hermetic
- Sealing: step by step instructions
- Safetywhen working with sealant
- How to clean the surface of the sealant
composition and properties of silicone sealant
silicone sealant is a viscous solid mass used for the isolation of various joints, gluing surfaces and
in silicone sealant composition includes the following components:
- basis - silicone rubber;
- amplifier - gives strength material and defines thixotropic properties (viscosity level);
- primer adhesion - is responsible for the reliability of the coupling surface to be treated with a sealant;
- silicone softener - increases the elasticity of the material;
- vulcanizer - converts the paste form the primary sealant material resembling plastic rubber.
In addition, some manufacturers add in the sealant additional components that extend the features and scope of the material:
- dye - color pigment is added at the manufacturing stage and gives the desired grout color;
- fungicides - are able to destroy or prevent the formation of mold and fungi (especially useful when used in wet areas);
- mechanical fillers (quartz or glass dust, sand) - improves the adhesion of materials.
Suffice complex composition defined the main characteristics of the silicone sealant:
- elasticity of the material allows the use of sealant at sealing joints, cracks in the movable joints.Tensile fiber sealant can lengthen up to 900%, so the silicone sealants are not afraid of bias seam and sharp turns.
- resistance to temperature changes.Operating temperature range from -50 ° C to + 200 ° C (heat-resistant sealants can withstand up to + 300 ° C).
- material is not susceptible to aggressive external factors.
- High water resistance.
- resistance to aggressive media.
- Good adhesion with most materials.
- silicone sealants are not afraid of "biological attack" mold and mildew.
table. consumption silicone sealant
Weighing the benefits of silicone sealants and not without drawbacks:
- difficulty in handling wet surfaces;
- not all amenable to the application of sealants after staining;
- insufficient adhesion to the plates, polyethylene, polycarbonate, polytetrafluorethylene.
All these deficiencies are deprived of a professional silicone sealants, which is composed of organic materials and mechanical fillers.
use sealant Silicone sealant is used to perform exterior and interior construction work.
range of repair works on the street:
- seam sealing gutters;
- sealing window frames and joints;
- repair of stone tiles, which are "peeled" from the bottom;
- jointing during installation of the roof;
- sealing joints vinyl cladding.
Indoor sealants used when performing:
- sealing joints of the walls, ceiling and floor with plasterboard structures;
- caulking on the tops and window sills made of natural or artificial stone;
- seal parts exposed to high thermal loads.
actively use silicone sealant to the bathroom:
- installation of mirrors;
- plumbing fitting and sealing of the junction;
- sealing joints of sewer pipes;
- sealing of joints when installing a bathtub, shower.
Forms silicone sealants and especially their application
all silicone sealants are divided into two groups:
- Single- - the most common type in the home;sold in tubes, "Foyle packets."The process of curing occurs upon exposure to air.Full curing is achieved only by a thin layer of material of 2-15 mm.
- Two- (silicone compounds) are used in the industrial sector.Hardening of the material coming into contact with the "catalyst", restrictions on the thickness of the putty not.
one-component sealant, regardless of the composition of the vulcanizing agents are divided into two types: the acid and neutral.
Features Silicone acid type :
- Sealant releases acetic acid, which can cause corrosion of copper, zinc, lead, brass and other metals;
- reasonable price silicone sealant (buy a vial of 300 ml can of 2.5-3 dollars. USA);
- acid sealants are labeled "A".
Important!Before using silicone sealant is desirable produce a sample - whether to join the mating material in the reaction with the acid.This is especially true when working with marble and cement surfaces.As part of these materials have carbonate, lime and other alkalis that can engage with the acetic acid
Neutral Sealant considered more versatile and suitable for processing different surfaces.As the curing agent acts ketoxime or alcohol.
neutral sealants Characteristics:
- ability to withstand high temperatures (up to 300 ° C);
- high temperature sealant is indispensable for the construction of baths and saunas;
- high bacterial protection;
- relative high cost neutral silicone sealant (price per cartridge 300 ml - 05.07 dollars. USA).
There sealants specialization designed for specific tasks.
Car - are used in car repairs and replacement of gaskets.The material protects the parts from water, engine oil and coolant does not flow when applied and can withstand short-term exposure to high temperatures.
Important!You should avoid contact with gasoline automotive sealant
Bituminous sealant suited for roofing, repair of roofs of slate and tile, repairing cracks in the basement and foundations, installation of drainage system.
aquarium sealant glue able to withstand high pressure water.Used for sealing joints and connections in terrarium and aquarium designs.
Sanitary sealant contains a biocide which prevents the development of fungi.It is used in the repair of a bathroom.
Overview of the main manufacturers of silicone sealant
In the construction market of silicone sealants in a wide range.Among manufacturers can distinguish companies that have proven to be the best side: Makroflex, Ceresit, Moment, Tytan and Soudal.
Makroflex - Finnish company with over 30 years experience in the production of silicone, acrylic sealants, liquid nails and polyurethane insulating elements.Makroflex products can be used in the most extreme conditions.
line of sealants companies include:
- Sanitary silicone sealant (Makrosil SX101) - a single-component formulation with anti-fungal additives, hardens under the influence of moist air.The cost of a bottle (290 ml) about 3 dollars. USA.
- Neutral silicone sealant (Makrosil NX108) Is a professional single-component material with antiseptic, suitable for working with metals, alkaline materials, plastics, ceramics, enamel, glass.Price per tube (290 mL) - about 4-5 dollars. USA.
- Universal silicone sealant (Makrosil AX104) is suitable for interior and exterior use, resistant to chemicals and weathering.Price per 290 ml - 2.5 dollars. USA.
International Holding Soudal supplies products to more than 100 countries worldwide.The company has its own research center to develop innovative technologies for the production of building materials and controlling product quality.Soudal has developed a range of consumer and professional sealing adhesive masses.
Household sealants (ambulance, a neutral, universal, high-temperature and silicone for aquariums), resistant to UV rays and have high mechanical strength.Price tubes (300 ml) - 2.8 dollars. USA.
company produces silicones narrow focus - for glazing, marble, aquariums, mirrors, high-temperature silicone, and others.
wide range of silicone sealants Tytan Polish company produces Selena.Production refers to the class of professional products and a competitive cost.The price of one bottle (310 ml) varies from 1.5 to 2 dollars. USA.
for use in wet areas like acid sealant Ceresit CS 25 with a high content of fungicides.For sealing of building glass bricks, windows and doors often use universal sealer Moment .
Tips on choosing the optimal hermetic
Here are some tips to help you choose a quality silicone sealant:
- When you purchase is necessary to study the composition of the material.High-quality sealant contains:
- 26% silicone;
- 4-6% organic rubber mastics;
- 2-3% thiokol, polyurethane and acrylic mastics;
- not more 2% of epoxy resins;
- to 0.3% of cement mixes.
- density sealant less than 0.8 g / cm indicates the poor quality of the goods.
- Sealants, which have antimicrobial properties can not be used for articles in contact with food and drinking water.Such products are not suitable for aquariums, terrariums.
- product must have supporting documentation and warranty.
- To eliminate minor cracks in the windows of suitable sealant to the outer seams.He did not crack under the influence of sunlight and to cope with temperature fluctuations.
- to work with dark wood, grout photo-collage and mosaic is better to choose the transparent silicone.
- Floor sealant joints is desirable to draw dark shades.
Sealing: step by step instructions
The use of silicone sealant is a simple process that can be divided into the following stages:
- surface to be worked from dust, dirt and dry thoroughly.Metal parts degrease.
- tubes with the working medium installed in the gun for silicone.
- opening the package - a knife to cut off the tip of the nose and screwed special dispenser.To control the thickness of the strip feed silicone spout is cut in a certain spot.
- Before processing decorative surfaces they should be protected against contamination.For this purpose, suitable molar tape.
- Silicone gently squeezed from the tube and evenly distributed over the surface of the product.
- After the end of the sealing material to remove the masking tape.
- Excess silicone should be removed with a damp cloth, wash hands with soap and water.This should be done immediately after use.
- silicone sealant Drying time depends on the type, thickness and environmental conditions (humidity, temperature).On average, the silicon solidifies completely in 24 hours after application.The top layer of the sealant film is literally covered with a solid 20 minutes.
Safety when working with sealant
Store silicone sealant is necessary at room temperature out of reach of children.Shelf life - 1 year.During operation, it is necessary to avoid contact with uncured silicone skin and eyes.If substance has got into eyes, they should immediately wash with cold water.
Particular caution should be observed when applying sealant acid.The curing process of such material releases acetic acid vapors, which can cause irritation of the respiratory tract and the eyes.Therefore, all work with silicon acid should be carried out in a ventilated area or wear a face mask (respirator).
How to clean the surface of the sealant
If you remove excess silicone sealant time did not work, then the surface can be rubbed away using one of the tools:
- White spirit. When mechanical cleaning with white spirit must act very carefully, as the substance can damage the product.If the surface has been painted, the paint will wear with silicone.
- Pen-840 - specially formulated silicone remover.Composition destroys the silicone sealant and allows you to remove without damaging the product.When selecting Foam-840 should definitely consider the type of surface to be treated.If after washes remained thin film, it can be removed with acidic water (acetic acid, lemon juice).
- Antisilikon - cleaning agent based on organic solvents.It is used for degreasing, removal of polishes and silicone.Suitable for work with plastic, steel and aluminum surfaces, stainless steel and galvanized steel, polyester putty and primer.
Silicone sealant - a versatile material, indispensable to the implementation of various construction works, both at home and in the workplace.Professionals and amateurs, each time to find creative and effective solutions for the use of silicone putty.